BBQ Recipe – BBQ Beer Can Chicken up the Bum – Step by Step Guide
Some time ago we tried a recipe I had read loads about on American based BBQ websites called, “Beer can up the bum chicken”, ok, it sounds a little odd but it is actually really good fun, a great talking point for any big social occasion you are planning a BBQ for and best of all, tastes funking awesome!
You WILL need a Kettle Style BBQ for this.
All you will need for this is (based on catering for 6)
2 x medium sized chickens
Plenty of charcoal
2 x Cans of Lager (I think the stronger it is the more flavour it adds to the chicken – but we used Fosters)
4 x Tbsp of Cajun Rub (optional)
1. Light your charcoal and let it get itself to temperature
2. Rub the Cajun Rub over your chickens
3. Take a swig out of the cans of lager/beer. Just one swig from each mind, and no monster gulps either!
4. After making sure there is nothing in the carcass of th chicken, place the can into the hole (on both chickens)
5. Go back to your coals and if at the right temperature (white hot and glowing), push to edges of Kettle BBQ (see pictures to see how we did it).
6. In the middle of the BBQ (0n the same level as the coals, place your Weber drip trays to catch the fat and juices)
7. Place your grill above the coals as normal and then balance your chicken (with can up the bum) on the grill
8. Close the lid, cook for 2 hours for large chickens or a bit less for smaller ones. Your coals will cool after about an hour and you will need new ones so use the Chimney to prepare some new coals and then place in the Kettle BBQ after an hour of cooking.
9. To check if the Can of Beer up the Bum Chickens are cooked, prod a knife into the thickest part of the chicken and it clear fluid comes out it is done.
10. Tuck in!
Why not let us know how you get on with your Beer Can up the Bum Chicken BBQ Recipe? Maybe had a great variation on this or did something to make it a bit different? let us know by leaving a comment (no need to register or any of that).